While some people feel that its better to test your ideas on mobile app first rather than a website, there are others who are satisfied with a website that works well on mobile devices.
Well, before we can decide upon the ultimate winner, here’s a quick review of some pros and cons of each of these options:
Mobile App Pros
Many believe that a mobile app can do a lot more than a mobile website can and if designed carefully can perform faster than website.
- One of the greatest advantages of a mobile app is that it allows you offline access so that you can browse through articles, check product catalogs, listen to podcasts and do a lot more without going online.
- In addition, you can also send notification texts and alerts to all your subscribers.
- Unlike the cluttered design of mobile websites, the apps are less cluttered and contain only the necessary details.
- Most importantly, apps allow you to get your business in front of customers in the form of a button right on their home screen.
Mobile App Cons
The biggest downside of having a mobile app is the extra expense and expertise associated with its development. Moreover, in order to make the app accessible to customers, you first need to setup the app and then submit it to app stores.
A mobile website is nothing but a responsive design that works equally well on all screen sizes. While a well designed mobile website can have the look and feel of a mobile app, it has its own share of pros and cons.
Mobile Website Pros
- The biggest advantage of a mobile website is that it is inexpensive since the development costs are usually included in the price of designing.
- Since a responsive design works on all screen sizes, there is no need for a separate website specially for Android/iOS.
- A mobile website just needs a domain and hosting for setup. No need for submissions to app stores.
Mobile Website Cons
One major differentiating factor between a mobile app and website is that you cannot enjoy offline access with a website. Moreover, a poorly designed responsive website can often result in issues like poor usability, cluttered design, etc.
Considering the pros and cons of mobile app and website, it completely depends on the type of business which option to go for. There may also be business for which both can do wonders!!